7C: Support IndyConnect Implementation
Support full implementation of IndyGo’s voter-approved Indy Connect transit plan, including its increased local service and three new rapid transit lines. Encourage partnerships with hospitality employers to support the cost of transit for their employees through IndyGo’s new account-based system. As the system develops and becomes easier to use for unfamiliar users, explore options to integrate transit fares into destination passes for attractions and other hospitality partners to incorporate transit information in their communications.
Value to the CommunityIndy's public transportation network provides critical service for thousands of residents each day and its improvement is one of the most important tactics to enhancing economic mobility in our region. The Indy Connect plan significantly improves service frequency and hours of operation to many neighborhoods, residents, and hospitality workers who rely on it the most.
Value to the Hospitality IndustryMany of Indy's front-line hospitality workers depend on public transportation to affordably access their jobs, helping remove transportation as a barrier for the industry's workforce attraction needs. As the system develops it will also more closely resemble the transit systems many visitors expect to find when visiting a large city, offering them expected options when it comes to accessing places throughout Indy.
- December 2023. FTA designated funding for IndyGo. The Federal Transit Administration designated IndyGo as a recipient of the financing for capital improvements within the Indianapolis Urbanized Area. The plan for this money is to enhance mobility for seniors and those with disabilities and for busses and bus facilities.
- August 2022. Blue Line Challenges. Faced with skyrocketing stormwater and other costs, IndyGo announced the planned Blue Line would be altered, dropping service west of Holt Road in favor of express service on I70 from that point to the airport terminal. More changes are expected.
- February 2022. Purple Line Groundbreaking. IndyGo broke ground its second rapid transit line with the $188m, 15.2-mile purple line connecting Downtown with Lawrence.
- August 2021. IndyGo Receives Purple Line Funding. IndyGo received an $81m Federal Transit Administration grant toward construction of the Purple Line, the second of three planned bus rapid transit lines.
- Partnerships Under Development