14D: Sustainable Destination Management Funding
Advocate for regional or statewide efforts to explore diverse funding streams, including non-public revenues and entrepreneurial endeavors, for destination marketing organizations. DMOs in Indiana are largely funded by real-time hospitality tax collections. Indy is the exception in that it is funded by the CIB based on prior year collections. While the tourism industry should support its primary marketing and management functions, such a reliance on one funding mechanism can create extreme volatility in weathering downturns when the work of DMOs are perhaps needed the most. Such direct connections have also resulted in lower funding relative to many peers and puts capital improvements, its operations, and the sales and marketing of those improvements in competition for the same funds.
Value to the CommunityDMOs like Visit Indy work to stimulate travel to Indy, supporting the hospitality industry and the jobs it supports. In addition, the work of this plan shows how DMOs can do much more, promoting greater inclusion of neighborhoods and people of all backgrounds into Indy's story, cultivating new economic opportunities, and driving investment into programs and places important to residents.
Value to the Hospitality IndustryHealthy DMOs stimulate demand for the hospitality industry, and current real-time funding models provide little resilience during times when the industry needs demand the most.
- April 2022. Statewide TID Research. The Indiana Tourism Association is working with national TID expert Civitas on a framework to enable Indiana communities to implement tourism improvement districts to augment existing lodging tax support.
- June 2021. Tourism Improvement District Research Project. Visit Indy is conducting research on TIDs around the nation through a fellow of the National Urban Fellows program.
Visit Indy (Lead)
- Partnerships Under Development
- Indiana Destination Development Corporation
- Hamilton County Tourism
- Boone County Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Visit Hendricks County
- Festival Country Indiana
- Hancock County Tourism Commission
- Anderson Madison County Visitors Bureau
- Brown County Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Putnam County Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Shelby County Tourism & Visitors Bureau
- Visit Morgan County