15F: Environmental Sustainability
Advocate for investments and programs that improve the environmental sustainability and resiliency of Indy, including those identified in the Thrive Indianapolis Sustainability and Resilience Action Plan and its target of carbon neutrality. Of particular importance is significantly improving recycling opportunities in public spaces and convention and event venues, increasing bicycle amenities like parking, adding publicly accessible electric vehicle charging infrastructure, and the greening of public investments and infrastructure.
Value to the CommunityEnvironmental sustainability efforts are connected to a community's broader quality-of-life as well as its efforts to address social inequities. They are also connected to economic development efforts that keep Indy competitive, as a growing number of companies are factoring in GSE (governance, sustainability, environment) factors of a community in their investment decisions.
Value to the Hospitality IndustryWhile many groups have yet to indicate a willingness to pay a premium for environmental sustainability measures, many increasingly indicate a desire for them and competitor cities are increasingly adopting them. Similarly, more and more companies are factoring in a community's embrace of sustainability measures as part of their investment decisions. To remain economically competitive such investments are important.
- October 2022. City takes first steps toward universal recycling goal of 2025. Taking its first steps toward achieving the goal of universal curbside recycling in the city, the City released a Request for Information seeking to identify potential partners.
- September 2021. Transit-Oriented Development ordinance passes council. Indianapolis adopted zoning reforms intended to promote greater densities and mixes of uses along high-frequency transit corridors.
- July 2021. Energy benchmarking ordinance passes City-County Council. Indianapolis adopted an ordinance to track and publicly report water and energy use for municipal and large commercial buildings, intended to lead to savings and reduced environmental impact.
- September 2020. Indianapolis Circular Economy Initiative launches. Focused on addressing Indy's recycling challenges, this initiative is formed by the City of Indianapolis and more than two dozen stakeholders.
- Partnerships Under Development